Condurrow Mine, the background

A currebt and ongoing project
Past project completed by CBMS
  In the 1920s the Camborne School of Mines (CSM) took over some shallow workings on Landower Lode to replace the underground workings at its King Edward mine that had been lost to flooding when an adjacent deeper Wheal Grenville mine closed in 1920.

Vivian's shaft and another small shaft were opened down to about 100 ft from surface, and a level was established in the old workings at this horizon. Compared with the old King Edward the mine it was tiny. However mining education was gradually changing and there was no longer the same need for a full working mine.

In the early 1930s CSM launched a successful world-wide appeal for funds. A new steel head-gear and electric hoist were erected at Vivian’s Shaft along with an electric air compressor. Rock drills could now be used for drilling underground and the workings were beginning to look more like a mine. The mine was used for practical exercises in mining, surveying, ventilation and for some small scale tunnelling.

In recent years, with the changes in mining education towards more technical subjects, the need for practical instruction gradually fell away. When the CSM re-located to Penryn, as part of the Combined Universities in Cornwall, it was realised that Condurrow would have to go, both for geographical and economic reasons.

Since 2008, when the Society purchased the site, members have worked tirelessly to maintain it.


Photos of The CBMS Condurrow mine



Underground scene at the CBMS Condurrow Mine